I remember when I first started getting into makeup – I didn’t know the difference between a crease brush or a smudge brush. Let alone why we needed so many brushes to apply makeup on our face. All along I had been using one brush for foundation, concealer, and other liquid makeup. As for eyeshadow, I always used the double ended applicators that were included. Boy have times changed. Now, I have about five brushes I use solely on my eyes; and about three brushes on my face including a blending sponge. Can we talk about complicating things? Well, when I sat down the other day and gave a lesson on basic no-makeup, makeup looks I learned something. You really don’t need that many brushes and although you may feel enlightened just by owning a new makeup brush. It really isn’t necessary. Off the top of my head, I can name ten really amazing brushes that you can get away with for a really long time. These brushes will help the application of your makeup, as well as, blending everything out for that flawless & seamless finish. Before I go on, I have to first mention that when you consider purchasing your brush set – you have to remember it is an investment. Be smart about it. Don’t buy a brush for the sake of buying a brush. Read the reviews on it and make sure it is right for you.
1. Beauty Blender $19.99. Great for creating a flawless finish with any liquid makeup. A beauty blogger favorite.
2. NARS ITA Brush $55. Contouring is a must in the beauty world. It’s what gives your face a chiseled more defined look. Easy to accomplish when you have the proper technique & tools.
3. It Cosmetics Heavenly Luxe Powder Brush $48. This is a beautiful brush that easily sets your foundation with powder. You can also use this brush to apply your bronzer.
4. Real Techniques Expert Face Brush $9. I usually use this brush for a quick foundation application. Blends well, doesn’t absorb a lot of the foundation, and easy to hold in hand. Love it!
5. E.L.F. Small Tapered Brush $3. This is amazing for adding a touch of highlight on the cheekbones, down the bridge of the nose, cupid’s bow, and any areas you want to accentuate.
6. E.L.F. Angled Blush Brush $3. The angled design of this brush helps guide your blush application. Gently smooths over with its soft bristles. Very comparable to Mac #168.
7. Mac #239 Eye Shader Brush $25. Perfect for getting the more defined colors (dark) in the crease area or just about anywhere you want them to go. This brush just helps with more control. A definite must have.
8. Sephora Classic Must Have Smudge Brush #70 $14. Great for water lining, and smoking out any eye look. Will blend the product out nicely using a light hand. No need for tugging or pulling with this brush.
9. Mac #224 Tapered Blending Brush $32. I own four of these, but you really only need one to accomplish any look. Perfect for blending product and creating a seamless finish.
10. Bare Minerals Maximum Coverage Concealer Brush $20. Every woman or makeup artist needs this apart of their collection. Applies and blends concealer well without compromising the product. Great payoff with this little gem.